Dentures can be an amazing solution for those who are missing several teeth or even all of their teeth. They’re a great tooth replacement treatment that can restore confidence, enhance life, and may even help people look younger. However, dentures do need proper care in order to stay clean and protect your mouth from other concerns. Join your dentist in Sacramento as we share five things you can do to properly care for your dentures.
Why Proper Denture Care is Important
Even though dentures aren’t natural teeth, they still need to be cleaned and cared for in order to last as long as possible and remain comfortable. The truth is, when dentures are not cleaned every day or treated with care they can change shape, become uncomfortable, or require repairs. What’s more is that unclean dentures can easily build up with bacteria and lead to bad breath, cavities in any natural teeth, and gum disease.
5 Denture Care Tips
Extend the life of your dentures and keep your mouth healthy by following these tips.
- Remove & Rinse. Remove your dentures after every meal and rinse them with warm water. This helps remove any leftover food particles immediately before they have a chance to get settled into your denture and affect your oral health. If these food particles are left in or on your denture for too long, they can contribute to bad breath and gum disease.
- Brush. Your dentures should be brushed daily, just like your natural teeth. Take a soft-bristled toothbrush and denture-safe toothpaste and gently clean the dentures. This removes any bacteria they may have built up during the day. But that’s not all. Any remaining natural teeth, as well as your tongue and the roof of your mouth, should be brushed too.
- Soak. Dentures need to stay constantly moist in order to keep their shape and fit in your mouth. After brushing them, soak dentures in a glass of water mixed with a denture-soaking solution while you sleep. Talk to your dentist in Sacramento about which solution is right for you. Before you put your denture back in your mouth in the morning, make sure to thoroughly rinse it off.
- Be Gentle. Whenever you handle your dentures make sure to always be gentle. Avoid using force to put them into your mouth and always soak them in a safe place so that they don’t accidentally fall on the floor. When you brush your dentures, there’s no need to scrub them. In fact, brushing too hard can damage the denture.
- Visit Your Dentist. Seeing your dentist in Sacramento as often as recommended can extend the lifespan of your dentures and make sure that they remain comfortable. Your denture and your mouth may also be professionally cleaned at these visits which will help keep your oral health in good shape.
The entire team at our Sacramento dental office is here to help our neighbors get and keep their mouths healthy. If you have questions about how to care for your dentures, if your dentures are no longer fitting properly, or you think you may need dentures, we welcome you to call us to schedule an appointment today.